HMS Warrior 1781

December 23, 2007

I hate cant frames

Filed under: Vol. 1 — admin @ 5:45 pm

’nuff said…….

December 19, 2007

Ironing warped frames, Part 2

Filed under: Frames,screw ups,Vol. 1 — admin @ 7:44 pm

Ok, so it worked. They stayed stable. I’m pretty happy about that.

I can now finish installing the stern cant frames.

December 18, 2007

Ironing warped frames

Filed under: Frames,screw ups,Vol. 1 — admin @ 9:42 pm

I tried ironing some of the warped frames tonight with the steam turned off, it appears to work. I’m going to let them sit overnight and see how straight they are tomorrow……

Warped stern cant frames

Filed under: Frames,screw ups,Vol. 1 — admin @ 9:03 am

As I stated in the previous post I put off beveling the cant frames because of assumed but not real difficulties in creating the bevels. Well the consequence is that winter happened and the humidity in my shop plummeted resulting in warping of my stern cant frames as they sat in a box on the shelf. They warped in a similar fashion with a little twist up of the foot. On all but a few of the frames it’s not that big of a deal and the frames straighten out once installed but there are a few I have had to re-make which is a pain in the ass. I tried to straighten some of them out by steaming or soaking in water and then “pressing” them but this really didn’t work out to well, easier to just glue up some more blanks and cut replacements out.

Only thin frames warped, the thick ones have remained stable.

I think on future models I won’t make the frames so far in advance of installing them so as to avoid warping such as this.

December 17, 2007

Installing Bow cant frames

Filed under: Frames,screw ups,Vol. 1 — admin @ 10:32 pm

Shaping (beveling) the cant frames is a little tricky, the bevel twists on the way up some of the forward most frames, it kind of gave me the heeby-jeebies and so I put off finishing this step for a while (with consequences to be detailed in a later post). When I finally got around to doing it I discovered that it was quite easy to do and once I got my head wrapped around the idea of the twist it was relatively intuitive.

The “twist” frames – look simpler than than they really are, it’s hard to see the twist here – I should have taken a picture of one before I installed them:

Installing the frames was a different beast altogether and took longer than I thought and wasn’t as easy as I had anticipated. I made a critical error (of sorts), I went ahead and sanded in the foot angle (that is the angle at which the foot of the cant frame attaches to the deadwood) on all of the frames ahead of time so that I could go ahead and glue in the frames more rapidly (and really because I had my disk sander out and handy). This worked out fine for most of the frames, but what I discovered was that I had over-sanded the foot on the last two (most forward frames) on the right side, leaving a gap. It’s not a hugely critical error, I filled the gap with wood glue and the frames are stable. No one will see these joints as the gar board planks will cover them (thank God) but it bugs me that I did it. When doing the stern cant frames I will sand each foot individually just before fitting to avoid this in the future. Incidentally, the disk sander worked just fine for this step. I bought a variable speed control switch for it so that it turns at a lower speed (otherwise it takes off wood to fast).

The two “gappy” frame foots (feet?) – again a little hard to see in this pic:

Holding everything in place as the glue dried was frequently a little tough and required using the spales at funny angles and places.


A few of the frames were short (I think due to photocopy quality), but not too much and a few shims brought everything up to snuff. you can see the shims just under the spale:

Finished installing the bow cant frames:

and with the boxing pieces installed:

December 3, 2007

Bow cant frame misalignment

Filed under: Frames,Vol. 1 — admin @ 9:37 pm

While dry fitting the bow cant frames I noticed that some of the more forward frames were “over-riding” the keel rabbet:

What I found when I placed a level along the keel is that, it dipped a little bit forward. By placing a spale underneath it I can easily push it back up the 2 or 3 mm to where it should be, ie. straight. It doesn’t take much pressure.

Cant frames realigned (frames just dry fitted and loose):

December 2, 2007

Split Frame

Filed under: Frames,Vol. 1 — admin @ 8:30 pm

I noticed that one of my frames had split yesterday, unfortunately it was in the dead center of the ship.

split1

up close:

split2

I needed to close this again and fairly quickly to keep the split from spreading. I tried the Rev. Romero’s trick of placing a few slips of wood between the frames around the split and then clamping them, but because of the location (the middle of the ship in the boxing line) I could not get enough pressure to close the gap without breaking the slips of wood or the surrounding frames. what finally worked was a long bar clamp place on the outermost frames. This allowed me to put enough pressure right along the line of boxing pieces without harming any frames. I made sure there was plenty of glue in the joint first, and then left it clamped for 24 hours

split3

all closed up now and I’m a happy boy again.

split4

Powered by WordPress